Further art discussions and notifications for the artwork of Sam Thorp
"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."
"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies."
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
"He (the Rev. Mr. Whitefield) used, indeed, sometimes to pray for my conversion, but never had the satisfaction of believing that his prayers were heard."
"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution."
"In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people."
"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."
1797 Treaty of Tripoli, article 11, ratified *unanimously* by the Senate and signed by Pres. John Adams:
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion;..."
THROUGH THE WINDOW
Carolyn Wenning and Sam Thorp will have their work on display. Carolyn’s painterly style mixed with Sam’s observations should prove to be an excellent display of Pittsburgh’s premiere artists. Please stop by on Friday July 3rd 6-10 pm or call for an appointment.
Please search Most Wanted Fine Art on www.youtube.com, we have just posted 8 new videos. 412-889-7526. Most Wanted Fine Art-5015 Penn Ave.
More about unblurred: http://friendship-pgh.org/paai/unblurred/
take pride in your wardrobe.
“We are firmly convinced that the exclusion of gay and lesbian people from the institution of civil marriage does not substantially further any important governmental objective. The legislature has excluded a historically disfavored class of persons from a supremely important civil institution with out a constitutionally sufficient justification. The is no material fact, genuinely in dispute, that can affect this determination.” ~ the Iowa Supreme Court April 3 , 2009
Would a ban or refuse to recognize same sex marriages protect anyone?
A ban on gay marriage would mean:
• Refusal for visiting spouses in a hospital intensive care unit or restricted visiting hours
• Refused to make medical decisions for the spouse in emergency situations
• Refusal of obtaining insurance benefits through spouses employer
• Refused family leave to care for the spouse during an illness
• Refused workers compensation or retirement benefits if spouse dies
• Refused bereavement leave for the death of a spouse.
• Refused consent to after death examinations for the death of a spouse
• Refused burial arrangements for the death of a spouse
• Refusal of inheriting a share of spouse’s estate
• Refusal of social Security, Medicare and disability for spouse
• Refused veterans’ and military benefits for spouse
• Refusal of suing a third person in the event of a wrongful death of spouse
• Refused stepparent or joint adoptions
• Refused joint foster care rights
• Refused equitable division of property in case of divorce
• Refused spousal or child support
• Housing discrimination for “families only” zones
• Refused marital communications privilege
• Refused crime victims recovery benefits
How does the rest of society benefit from treating “certain people” in this manner?
Are marriages of the majority protected by harming and hindering our gay neighbors in this manner?
They are not.
Not only does this belittle all of us as individuals but also it insults the very foundations of LIBERTY and JUSTICE that America was founded on.
I created a PDF hand out that can be downloaded, printed and distributed at will.
Feel free to redistribute: